Friday, May 24, 2019

[Japan] Where to find sakura in early spring in Kyoto, and what to wear?



Everybody knows the beauty of cherry blossoms, and it's like everybody's dream to see this amazing flower in full bloom. As a person who loves pretty things, I also dream to witness this beautiful flowers at its season. However, since I have routines that can't be missed, it's really hard for me to travel to another country at spring season, which is not a holiday season for me. Finally, this year I got a chance to have a holiday at spring season, to the country which very popular for its sakura. Japan, here I come....





Actually, it wasn't a holiday time for us. Aurelia just had a couple days of mid term break, so we only have 1 week for this trip. We've been to some cities in Japan before, and we decided to visit Kansai area to see this sakura. Enjoy the beauty of cherry blossoms, with traditional houses and temple as a background, Kyoto is a perfect place to get this ambience. Therefore, I stayed in Kyoto for 3 nights to hunt this pink flowers.

Happy me to found this place

First day, we were visiting Arashiyama because I found a picture on instagram, showed a picture of temple with a full bloom sakura tree in front of it. After searching about this place, I found out its name is Seiryoji Temple. Being located only 500m away from the famous Sagano Bamboo Forest, it was easy to reach this place by feet. However, we arrived too late at Arashiyama, and it's too crowded at that moment. This situation changed our mood so we cancelled our visit to Seiryoji Temple.

Source : Instagram @lotus.m.lotus
I was desperately to find other places in Kyoto which has full bloom sakura. Finally, I found a place with rows of cherry blossoms. Not just 1 tree but there's a lot! It was located at local neighbourhood, and almost nobody knows. It's totally a hidden gems in Kyoto, and I was so lucky to found this place. Keep ready guys, I'll tell you the details about this place, so it could be an option for you to catch sakura in early spring next year.

Sakura at local neighbourhood in Kyoto

淀水路

The words above, it was the name of this place. You can just simply copy paste to Google Maps, to find the exact location of this place. There's no English name, it's a real local place and I'm pretty sure you'll not think to visit this place unless for see sakura. It was located at the south of Kyoto, precisely at Fushimi Ward. Thanks for the great public transportation in Japan, we could easily reach this place in 30 minutes by a single train ride from Gion Shijo station (Keihan Main Line ¥310).


This train us took us directly to Yodo station. Once I stepped out from the station, I saw sakura trees at the small park, right in front of the station. It was really beautiful and I was so happy could find this place. Actually, this place was enough for me who was just expecting for a few of sakura trees at early spring. But the place that I was going to visit, much more wonderful than this. So we kept continue our "sakura hunting" to the main destination.

a small park with some sakura trees in front of Yodo station, Kyoto


We're walking for around 1km from the station. The distance actually wasn't really far. However, since it's a local place and there's nothing to see at the streetside, we felt it's quite far. Luckily the weather was really great at that time, so we could enjoy every seconds of this trip. Once we arrived at this place, we felt it's worth it to walked this far. We saw rows of sakura tree in full bloom, just like in the picture. They're grown along the river bank, and this scenery was something that I'd expect from spring in Kyoto.



Aurelia and Winston enjoy the scenery of cherry blossoms

While I was walking through the path, I spotted rapeseed flowers which usually grow together with sakura. It has a bright yellow color which create a stunning contrast to be together with the pink flowers. It's a jackpot for me to see these beautiful flowers in early spring (it was 21 March). Besides, this place also very quite so we could enjoy the beauty of nature calmly and took pictures without crowds.

Sakura and rapeseed flowers is the best combination


Aurelia in her kimono
Travel Outfit
Wearing a good outfit is really important, especially when you want to have a good pictures at this sakura season. Therefore, here's a little tips for your outfit. Do not wear an outfit with soft color or pink, and other color in pink gradient. The picture of yourself will not "out" in those colors. To have a contrast color, it will be better if you wear an outfit with a "bold" color. This color will show you as a "main character" and not blend with the pink atmosphere around you. This time, I wore a blue patterned blouse from Zara, and I also used an accesory - which is a silk scarf from Hermes. This bright color silk scarf makes the pictures become more colorful.

Zara Blue Patterned Blouse and Hermes Double Sangle Scaf in Aqua, Turquoise, Corail


About the scarf, so it's my very first Hermes silk scarf. Hermes scarf has been on my wishlist for a few months, and finally I got it when I was in Sydney ($700) last January. At that time I had no knowledge about this scarf. Unlike my knowledge about Hermes bag, I really didn't know what type should I buy. I just trust the Shop Assistant (SA) at the Hermes store, which helped me to choose the scarf that suit on me. After tried some scarfs from their newest collection, at the end I chose "Double Sangle Scarf 90", from the Spring Summer 2019 collection. This pattern was designed by Joachim Metz, and it has 10 colors option. However, I fell in love with this color which has a combination between aqua, turquoise, and corail. It has a beautiful color combination and perfect to be worn in many ways and different outfit colors. Even though it was designed just for an accesory, but Hermes silk scarf also can be used to cover my neck area and make it warm. It might not as warm as a winter shawl, but it's more than enough to be used at spring weather. Buy this Hermes scarf here.


Anyway, if you like to take pictures with sakura in Japanese style, you can choose kimono as your outfit like Aurelia did. I'll write more about kimono rental in Kyoto, at the next post. See ya ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment